Pages

Saturday, 27 August 2011

Crafty DIY : Freestanding Letters

I really like all these 3D letters and words that have become so popular, but am not keen on what they say such as ‘home’ and ‘love’ which is nice but a teeny bit samely for me. So I decided to make my own. But which route to take… wood perhaps? Don’t have the tools. Card? Too fiddly. Plaster or clay? Way too messy – for a caravan anyway...


Then a great big server arrived at worked, very well padded with a sort of airy, soft plastic that was strong but very light. It seemed too good to throw out. And then a light bulb moment occurred. I brought out my trusty crafting knife and got to work. It slices like a dream and although my handiwork is never the straightest, I was still quite pleased with the outcome. I toyed with the idea of spray painting the letters, but thought they worked quite well au naturel.




The other half was a little dubious when he arrived home to see the letters displayed in the caravan, however he quickly made a game of it and enjoys swapping the letters round just to kick start a play fight, so everyone’s happy.




You could even try this idea with polystyrene and paint it or cover it with paper or fabric. And the best part is – you get to write whatever word you like. I went for SIMPLIFY because its means so much to me at the moment. It's nice little reminder for when things get a little crazy. So keep a look out for any unwanted robust packaging, who knew it would get this second life?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment...